Monday, June 16, 2008

June 12

This morning I got up and felt really groggy. I didn’t take my Sudafed. So I get to school about 1040. we are supposed to meet at 11am to go to tsukiji fish market and have sushi for lunch. I get there and I ask how yuka was doing. They said she was ok. They were looking up things to do at Tokyo Disney. There is an ice cream city really close I think and it looks delicious. I showed them shamu at sea world. I asked what they’re favorite character was and naoko said pooh, chinatsu said pooh and stich, and kana said pooh, stich, and ariel. I said that I had seen the little mermaid many times and she said she had a little. i was confused because I wasn’t sure how you could like a character if you hadn’t seen the movie. She said ariel was very pretty. Fair enough.

It was going on 1120 and I was like where is Brandon? He came in around 1130 and the time just passed him by. We (saori, both taka, b, and me ) headed out for tsukiji. Brandon and I had read in our guide books that you couldn’t go to the actual auction but you could see giant fish being carted off. So we were kind of confused that we were going for lunch. We ended up at a restaurant. Not the actual fish market. Um.. ok. We ordered tuna and eel in a rice bowl with miso soup. It was delicious. It came with wasabi and you add soy sauce to the little dish, and poor it over the rice bowl. Very tasty. It came with salmon fish eggs and they tasted better spread out. The only problem is that they are high in cholesterol. Oh well. Taka got another rice bowl and taka got a sushi plater. Saori also got a sushi platter, and this egg yam stuff. It was gross looking. It’s an egg in a jar that has been steamed. It was very runny. She would get a spoonful and it was dripping slime it looked like. Yuck! It was about 1230 and we paid and left. They didn’t think we had enough time so we took a cab minus saori because it only fit 4 people. We got to the hospital and it was 1200 yen. Brandon and I were trying to pay and both taka’s said no and told us to get out of the cab. Takayuki paid. We tried to pay him back and they said no. so they left us at the hospital.

We went down to the locker room and changed and went to meet itou-sensei. We got there and he explained more oncology to us. It’s after lunch and it’s so hot down there. I got very sleepy. He was explaining the cancer regimens to use and at first I thought he was saying resumes. They use folfox and folfiri as well. But they change the regimens from the research. I think they figure out what works best in the hospital and make a new regimen. Then we went upstairs to surgery and it was about oncology. The removal of tumors. Every day. It’s a bunch of crap. I don’t think I would want to do oncology. Not for me. It was about 330 when we went back to the basement and the schedule was over. Cool. We left and went back to keio. We stopped at a convenie and I got an aquarius drink. It tastes like grapefruit juice.

We got back inside and were talking with yoshi about his program. We always notice that he is never in class when the others are. He is doing a focus on research and rheumatoid arthritis. He only needs 9 hours for his major and the others need 22. ahhhhh… they were talking about this green alge guy marokaori? I’m tyring to get an idea of what each person likes. Miho and the others came back and we asked her if anyone was coming with us in the morning. She went and checked with take-san and yes we are going by ourselves. She looked up the trains for us and what time we should meet. We were leaving and I said that Brandon was musukashi-san. Mr. difficult and miho laughed. She’s sweet.
We went down to the cafeteria and got fried potatoes for dinner. It’s like a potato cake with vegetables inside. One was edamame and the other was corn. They were good. And of course it came with rice and miso soup. they went to class and we went to shimbashi to look for the 100 yen store. But to no avail. They advertised for it on two huge signs but it wasn’t there. Great. So we walked around and ended up in the ginza district. Very upscale shops. Gucci, tiffany. Brooks brothers. We found a shop with yukatas (like a kimono) . males were 3900 yen and women’s 4900 yen. If we don’t find better ones in asakusa or ueno we may go back to that store.

We took the train back to daimon and went to mos burger. I got a strawberry shake and b got a green tea iced drink. We just sat down when we saw take-san walking by. Brandon went out and jumped him! It was funny watching his reaction. He came back with Brandon and we were talking about tomorrow. He wanted to make sure we could get to the hospital on time. He said he went to tsukishima with his girlfriend and ate manja. He said he would like to go out to dinner with us one night. Top secret! He’s really funny and nice. We were talking about the slurping with soup and how it’s ok in japan but not in the us. He said that by slurping it showed that you like the meal and enjoyed it. I said that it made sense and he’s like ah ha – it made sense. J he went on his way and we went to a convenie. I found a tiny fiber drink. Only 6g, but it’s something. I get no fiber here. We went on our separate trains and I went to the convenie by the dorm. I can’t help it, I like snacks. I got a chocolate sandwich with no crusts. I was hoping it was peanut butter but no luck. I also got a melon bread. It was really good. I only at a little bit. I still have a strawberry bread that I will eat for breakfast.

I showered and saw maria on the way out. She introduced me to her roommate I think saiko. Sounds like psycho. Kind of funny. But here I am. We still haven’t figured out what to do for Saturday. And I didn’t iron tonight because my clothes are still wet. Oyasumi nasai (good night).

No comments: