Sunday, June 22, 2008

June 17

Today I went to the university and noticed that toon had left very early. She got to school at 830am. Brandon was late and called macura. Macura didn’t get his answer because he was on the train and then Brandon didn’t answer back for the same reason. I called him at 9am and he said he was at hamamatsucho station. So macura, toon, and I walked down to meet him. We got on the train and macura asked if we knew where we were going and I said yes. He said he was useless then.

We get to the hospital and ask the front desk to let kaga sensei know that we had arrived. She comes with her mask on. She had been coughing a lot yesterday and said she had the cold that was running around the hospital. She coughed on Brandon and he bought vitamin c drops last night! We put on our white coats and took macura san somewhere. She came back for us and we went down to the manufacturing room. Another pharmacist explained to us what they made and how they autoclaved things. They did that about 3 times a week.

Then we came back to the pharmacy staff room. Kaga sensei said we were going to the housing for the aged. She barely let us grab our money out of our bags. On the way to the station we stopped at a sweet shop and got a gift for the place. We got on the train and went one station. Then we got on a bus and walked to the place. It is connected to kawakita hospital. They have an elevator that you need a code in order to operate. They don’t want the old folk to get out! So we toured the different floors. One floor was for people over 90 and one floor was healthy but with alzheimers. Most have their own room, but share bathroom. The really special have their own bathroom. Kaga sensei said hello to nearly everyone she saw.

We were done with the tour and we sat down and had the treats she bought. She bought a bigger package for the director and one for us. It was anko, red bean paste, in between two little pancakes. Anko is actually good. It took me a while to like it. Then we walked to the shrine and toon took some pictures for us. We walked to get the bus and went back to the station. There is a posh shopping mall and we went to the 5th floor for lunch. We ate at a tempura place. We sat at the bar and saw a tank of live shrimp. We got rice, miso soup, and shrimp, fish, yam, pepper tempura. It was really good. They had macha (dark green tea) salt. It was tasty. When we were done, kaga sensei paid for us. That was super nice of her. Then she asked if we wanted macha or coffee. We went to a place that served macha. It came with anko inside of a gellied ball. It was actually good. But I was so full that I couldn’t finish the macha.

We went back to the hospital and waited in the break room for about 10 minutes. I almost fell asleep. Then we spent some time in the drug information room. I was really sleepy and it was taking a long time for macura to translate what they said in Japanese. So I was falling asleep a little bit and yawning a lot. I felt bad. I stood up eventually to wake up. She told us that they have a database of questions that have been asked. When it gives the answer it gives the citation at the bottom. When we were done we went back to the break room and then kaga sensei told us that we were done.

Thursday night we are going to dinner with her at Shinjuku. She invited macura san. We left and went back to keio. Brandon and I worked on our presentation a bit and toon left because she had dinner plans with maria. Then yoshi came in and said it was time to go to dinner. Macura was going with us. They said they found a ramen shop. On the way out of the university we found hiroto san, and two of his friends. We went to the mita line and changed for the Shinjuku line. We were waiting in line when I told Brandon to ask again if things had been and pork. Taka looked on the website and they said they didn’t use pork but they use the pork bone in everything. Sooooo, we couldn’t’ eat there. Hiroto and his friends takeshi and machan stayed and we left to find another. We couldn’t find one and ate a soba place. I got rice with chicken and egg. It’s called parent and child. We came back and printed our presentation. Then I wanted to go home and Brandon wanted them to translate the fortune paper. So we stayed and it was about 930 when we left. I got home about 10. I was really tired tonight. We walked all over the place.

Toon and I are going to go to school together in the morning and probably every morning. She’s really sweet. Time for bed.

No comments: